Zwiebelkuchen (German Onion Pie)
Common around Germany and the Alsace wherever wine is grown, this Onion Pie is a very welcome addition to any winter dinner. Enjoy warm, fresh from the oven, or days later with a glass of wine.
Instant dry yeast
All Purpose Flour
Onion, peeled and th
Raw Bacon, Diced
- Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm milk with the sugar and a dash of the flour.
- Stir, cover, and keep in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the dough ingredients, mix (by hand or stand mixer) until a ball forms.
- Cover and keep in a warm place until the dough rises.
- In the meantime preheat the oven to 425°F and sautee the onions with the bacon in a large skillet until translucent but not brown.
- While sauteeing the onions mix the Eggs, Creme Fraîche, freshly grated Nutmeg, and pepper together with a whisk until smooth and well combined.
- Roll the dough out and place into a roasting pan. Give it about a 1 inch "lip".
- Add the onion and bacon mixture on top of the dough.
- Pour the Creme Fraîche mixture over the onions and smooth out.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until dough is firm and top is golden brown.